Xan, Baldur's Gate 1 BG1 Companion


Xan Baldur's Gate 1



Xan Location


Xan is a Baldur's Gate companion in BioWare's cRPG of 1998, Baldur's Gate 1. Xan is found in a cave that branches off from the fourth level of the Nashkel Mines; in the same area as Mulahey: x=800, y=600, AR 5405).

However, Xan is the BEST Mage for casting:


I like how everyone's favorite pessimist has the Luck spell scribed to his spellbook by default.

At last I am free of my dreary prison; five and eighty days are far too long for one of the fair folk to live as a dwarf.  You look no better off than I, but my appreciation for my liberty bids me add my spells to your cause.  I am Xan; shall we face the impossible together?

Xan Stats


Xan has excellent stats for a Mage character.

We're all doomed.

Xan's Moonblade



Xan is unique in that he wields a Moonblade that grants him non-trivial resistance to fire:

Moonblade (+50%) + Ring of Fire Resistance x2 (+80%) + Mage Robe of Fire Resistance (+20%) = 150% fire resistance.

Thus, Xan is not only immune to fire but Fireball (for example) will actually heal him by up to 8 HPs. 

Of course, Xan can't cast Fireball himself but he can wave Wands of Fire, and other casters can nuke him with Fireball after he draws the aggro into the AoE.

Xan's Moonblade is found in Mulahey's war-chest.

This potent weapon was created by the smiths of ancient Myth Drannor. Moonblades are used in the long process of selecting a ruler for the isle of Evermeet. A Moonblade chooses its owner, and in the case of this sword it has chosen the elf, Xan. Only Xan can use this blade, anyone else who tries will find themselves unable to lift the sword. This particular Moonblade gives resistance to fire and gives its user a bonus to his armor class.

Moonblade Stats


  • Damage: 1D8
  • Damage type: slashing
  • THAC0 BG1 bonus: 3
  • Bonus to damage: 3
  • Armor Class BG1 bonus: 1
  • +50% Fire Resistance
  • Weight: 4
  • Speed Factor: 5
  • Proficiency Type: Small Sword
  • Type: 1-handed

Moonblade Item Code


The item code for the Moonblade is SW1H13.

Xan Biography


When asked about his past, XAN wistfully speaks of his home in the elven stronghold of Evereska, and his role as a Greycloak. It was apparently decreed that he was to investigate the events of the iron shortage, determine who or what were the causes, and ascertain whether there was a greater threat to the region as a whole. This was definitely not a small task, and he accepted the responsibility with a great deal of dread. You get the feeling, however, that he approaches everything with a great deal of dread. He has devoted his life to improving his mastery of magic and has become a skilled wizard, though this dedication has left him little time to make friends or acquire any other pastimes. He strikes you as very capable, though probably not the best influence on morale.

Xan and Ajantis certainly have their differences. This one is indirect in that Xan interjects when Ajantis complains about Evil party members:



Xan's fire resistance:


Xan quotes


  • I thank you for my freedom, friends, for I have languished in these dismal vaults too long.
  • We're all doomed, run while we're still able.
  • Onward, to futility!
  • Perhaps we'll survive longer than I had originally thought.
  • This group is especially hopeless today!
  • Keep up this evil, and we're deservedly doomed.
  • I cannot abide by these actions!  I must take my leave from this barbaric fellowship.
  • While leader, I will endeavor not to get ALL of us killed.
  • Certainly I shall collapse from exhaustion before I fall on the Battlefield.
  • If we are doomed to fail, could we at least do it faster!
  • My wounds are too grave, I'm a dead man.
  • The majesty of the forest makes me feel insignificant.
  • The bustle of the city makes me feel insignificant.
  • The sun shines, and I am amazed we live to see another day.
  • We're all doomed.
  • Life is so hollow.
  • Our quest is vain.
  • Whatever.
  • What is the point?
  • If you want.
  • It is hardly worth the effort of trying.
  • We delude ourselves to think our pitiable band will stand up to our enemies.
  • Let us save our effort and just lie down and die.
  • I'll do what I can, but expect very little.
  • Eldoth, could you stand away from me, the stench is somewhat unnerving.
  • Perhaps Eldoth, you could be a little more polite to our companions.
  • You could do us all a favor Eldoth, by getting killed in the next battle.
  • Have you ever wondered how hollow your convictions sound, Ajantis?
  • It seems our resident suicide monger, Ajantis, lives in a black and white world.
  • If I'd wanted your opinion I would have asked for it.
  • I hope what you say was well intentioned.
  • Do not think I will endure your insults indefinitely
  • Your stupidity makes you a doomed man.
  • With you as my companion, who needs enemies?
  • Around you I almost feel that we have a chance.
  • Another victim in our hopeless crusade.
  • I would grieve for Eldoth if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel.



Erevain's journal mentions Xan:



Baldur's Gate Original Ajantis BG1 Alora BG1 Branwen BG1 Coran BG1 Dynaheir BG1
BG1 Walkthrough Edwin BG1 Eldoth BG1 Faldorn BG1 Garrick BG1 Imoen BG1
BG1 Companions Jaheira BG1 Kagain BG1 Khalid BG1 Kivan BG1 Minsc BG1
Baldur's Gate NPCs Montaron BG1 Quayle BG1 Safana BG1 Shar-Teel BG1 Skie BG1
cRPG Blog (Index to All) Tiax BG1 Viconia BG1 Xan BG1 Xzar BG1 Yeslick BG1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.