Mount & Blade: Warband: Conquer Calradia



In Taleworlds' Mount & Blade: Warband, I recommend against wiping out all factions and completely conquering Calradia because we are left with naught to fight but bandits (sometimes up to 70 units strong but that doesn't compare to a King's army of 700).

In my game, none of the factions (rival Kingdoms) were able to recover from the own-zone I put them in. After a time, factions usually re-establish themselves after being eliminated, but not if we have half of the Lords of Calradia serving us and the other half - along with the faction Kings - imprisoned in our castle dungeons. I had 70 Lords serving me. My banner flew over the entirety of Calradia:


I awarded none of my Lords fiefs, not one backwater village in my entire 1,000 day campaign. I didn't do a single quest for a Lord, I didn't resolve a single squabble and I didn't give them a single soldier. They all despised me (relation -90 to -100) but they didn't dare cross me. They roamed my Sole Empire as mercenary-zombies, taking out bandits with armies 40-100 in number. It was total ennui.

Thus, I indicted them all for treason. All 70. Since they can't be beheaded, and instead are simply released, did they form their own armies and start burning my villages and besieging my castles and towns, from which I was earning 100,000 denars per week, and which were not heavily garrisoned? Nope. They roamed around my Empire in tiny parties, if not all alone, not even accompanied by a few peasants. I even left a few towns ungarrisoned, and thus without any form of defense whatsoever. Months later, none had even so much as squatted on my property much less moved in and declared it their own.

Proof of Calradia conquered:


Look at this pathetic wretch of a Lord. Can't even get a few Manhunters going, but he'll gladly drag a farmer and a peasant woman along behind his horse for months on end:


Why doesn't he recuit them into his party and start training them up: rinse repeat until army?

Meanwhile, I had built up my cash reserves to 2,000,000 denars. My Hero Company rode Champion Coursers:


Masterwork weapons:


There was nothing left to conquer, to buy, to build or to do: the world was inactive. It was flourishing in peace and prosperity, which is boring in wargames that don't let us invest in the arts and sciences.

Therefore, I reloaded to before the indictments and gave away half of my kingdom to various Lords, hoping to trigger a large-scale rebellion against my Empire. Months later (and months take a long time to go through in Warband), none had defected and reformed their own Kingdoms. I gave away three-quarters. Again, no response after many months.

Perhaps there would have been a defection after years, but I'm not going to experiment further as it's tedious: Warband becomes WarBLAND when we conquer Calradia in full.

The conclusion is: don't conquer Calradia. It's best to keep all factions fairly healthy in order to keep the big battles flowing (and thus the experience point acquisition and leveling).

Why did I conquer Calradia then? Well, as I said before, I thought there was no way to conquer it for too long, as the factions usually reform after a while, but I didn't know that it can take years of game-time for that to happen.

Oh well, at least I've proved to myself that Calradia can be conquered to the point where the player will give up out of sheer boredom as they await large-scale defections. The general consensus is that we can't conquer Calradia: nonsense. If it takes years for any rebellion to form - and the potential for that stems solely from self-sabotage - then we've conquered Calradia -- and Warband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.